Friday, January 7, 2011

Just something I've been thinking about...

Be warned, this is about to become a jumbled mess of words.

How is it we can become so close to a person over the internet? Is it the insecurities we have about ourselves in everyday life? Maybe because we can tell a lie and the person on the other side of the screen can't see your face? Or perhaps it's the way people open up to others far away from their home where no one else will learn their secrets through gossip and the grapevine.

My relationships with a few players/bloggers is stronger than many of the relationships I have here at home and at school. I'm sure many of you know John Lifeglen. What many may not know is that I consider him my best friend in the spiral. We met back in Krok, when I was just a lame little fire wizard who knew nothing about this game. He and another friend of ours who doesn't play anymore helped me through the tough battles. I never thought that little act of kindness would grow to something as big as it has. Like all best friends, John and I don't agree on many things, but we have each other's backs and respect one another's opinions. Sometimes I find myself telling stories to my family of our endeavors in the spiral, and then I realize it's just a game. None of that is real. It's amazing to me how two people can create such a strong bond through a game.

There's nothing like knowing you can come back to the computer after a stressful day of work or school and know you'll be able to talk it out with a friend who is removed from the situation. No bias opinions. If there's ever anything I need to talk about, I can and even though there's a little bias involved, having someone in another state - someone who doesn't know the others involved - can really help shed light on some problems.

Aaaaaand that's the end.

Happy Spiraling
<3 Cassie

1 comment:

  1. Really nice post, Hexythorn.

    When both people reach out and connect, and treat one another as more-than-just-gamers, these type of harmonies can exist, even if we've never met them before. Because we see that there's more to it than just the avatar (they listen AND respond genuinely), we eventually feel that way too :)

    ReplyDelete